Subjunctives With Wish/If Only

بِسْــــــــــــــــمِ اﷲِالرَّحْمَنِ اارَّحِيم

1. Subjunctive With Wish
     Wist can be used with several different tenses :
      wist + past simple,wist + past perfect,and wist + would + infinitive

a.)  Wist + Past Simple
       This expresses an unrealistic desire for the present situation to be different since there is very little
       chance of the change occurring
       => Example
  • I wish I lived in Australia
  • I wish I had wighs
b.) Wist + Past Perfect    
      This expresses a desire that an action or event in the past had been different.
        => Example

  • I wish I han't decided to work in that company
c.)  Wist + Would + Infinitive
       This expresses a desire for a situation to change either now or in the future. The change could possibly
       occur but it generally depents on action from some other person or things
       => Example
       I wish he would give up smoking

2.  Subjunctive With If Only
     If only can be used instead of wish in all there constructions above.If only has a stronger and unrealistic
     meaning than wish
    => Example
    If only I had wings